Thursday, January 20, 2011

One Week Later

It has been a week since I last posted.  I had been hoping to post more frequently than this but my "To Do" list seems to grow longer and posting on my blog seems to fall farther down on the list.  I've got a few moments between cleaning chores to take a small break and post. 

I've worked on getting today's FlyLady's Thursday mission complete...clearing off the porch of any remaining holiday decorations.  I did have three Christmas items still outside on the front porch.  Two pre-lit topiaries, one very large snowman blowup.  I've deflated the snowman and now I need to pack it up and get it put away.  It's cold outside and I wasn't looking forward to going outside and bringing them in.  In truth, it only took a few minutes to bring them inside to warm them up.  Once they're warm enough to touch, I'll pack them away. 

The other part of Flylady's Thursday mission is to inventory things running low in the main bathroom.  Our main bathroom is still in "renovation mode".  We are waiting for a toe kick to arrive at Lowes.  Once that comes in Chris, our very talented builder, will come out, install the vanity, and sink.  Then he'll put in the new faucets and seal our old bathtub faucets.  We tried having new bathtub fixtures installed but the existing pipes don't accommodate the new types of hardware and it would cost far too much to go through a wall and welding new pipes.  Back went the old hardware and we'll just live with it.  We're hoping the new sink hardware will be O.K. to install.  Once all the renovations are in we'll paint the walls and then I can get the bathroom back to 100% usefulness.  I must admit that we still haven't picked a paint color.  The tub and toilet are a bone (bisque) color and the vanity is a sea grass green.  The floor and bath tile is also bone (bisque).  We don't want tan walls but it's a small bathroom and a dark wall color will seem to make the room appear even smaller.  It's been difficult matching up the green of the vanity to a wall color.  Any suggestions? Tan is getting boring.

I just finished substitute teaching in a second grade class.  One subject they must study in second grade is penguins.  I had fun with the students learning about penguins.  Our final project was to take all that we learned and make a penguin lapbook.  Did you know that there are 17 species of penguins worldwide?  I learned that the smallest penguin is the fairy penguin.  I also learned that an emperor penguin (the largest of all penguins) stands up to 44 inches tall.  I helped the students measure their height to see if they are shorter, taller, or the same height as an emperor penguin.  One student measured exactly 44 inches tall.  He looked up at me and said, "This is just great, Miss Cox, I'm a penguin!"  Then he "penguin walked" his way back to his desk. 

I would love to post a picture of the penguin lapbook I made as a sample, while the students made theirs, but my iPhone died and I don't have any camera to use. 

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. What about just going with white for your bathroom? you can always change curtains/shower curtain/rugs/towels to change the look of the room, while keeping it light. just a thought.

    I must admit I did not know all that about penguins! and wow, 44 inches?? that's big!

    ReplyDelete