Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Woes of the worrisome automobile

We have a 1992 Subaru Justy.  This old beat up little bit of a car has such wonderful gas mileage that I try to use it for many errands.  Friday night I drove to town in it with Martin and Evie (my two kiddos).  On the way home I was pulled over by a state trooper for not have current registration tags on the license plate.  He asked to see my proof of insurance and he informed me that it had expired near the end of December, 2010.  O.K. so now I have expired tags and no current proof of insurance.  Then he tells me my front right headlight is out.  This is going downhill very fast.  I know I'm doomed.  While the trooper takes my license, etc. to his unmarked trooper car to run the plates Evie and I search the glove box for a current insurance card. 

The trooper returns (after a lengthy absence I might add) and asks if I found the current insurance paper.  I show him that I found 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and he's hold 2010 but no I don't have current proof.  I see in his hand a piece of paper that looks like a ticket to me.  I'm doomed!

He tells me that he's giving me a citation for not having proof of insurance but I can get it cancelled if I show proof at the police station within 30 days.  He ran the tags and discovered that I do have current registration tags but then are on the new license plate that we ordered and was sent in the mail.  He let me off on that one and he told me to get my headlight fixed.  I drove home constantly looking in my rear view mirror waiting for another trooper to stop me.

Monday morning I got the proof of insurance and went straight to the police station.  The officer takes the citation and comes back later and says that everything is in order and I can go to the court house to register the clearance of the citation and that will wipe it clean and I won't loose six points and have to pay $510.00 in fines.  Then he tells me that my tags have expired (which I knew about because of the mail) and also told me that my driver's license expires in two weeks on my birthday.  That I didn't know.

Next, I hightailed it over to the courthouse and waited in a, thankfully, short line to get my citation forgiven.  When she stamped it and gave me my copy I breathed a sigh of relief.  I did not want to loose six points and pay $510.00 for not having current proof of car insurance.  Sometimes I'm such a idiot for not checking these things on a regular basis.

Anyhow, next stop the DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles.  I parked and Martin and I (Martin was home sick because he was having repeated asthma attacks from a cold he was dealing with) went into the DMV expecting to have a long wait.  There was one person in there and he was being helped.  I pulled the number ticket to get in the queue and they called my number before I could even get the papers I needed to fill out.  That is one very good thing.

The lady at the DMV was very nice and I explained all the reasons I was there and I begged her to make me legal the cheapest way she could.  After filling out a multitude of forms, waiting a bit when the computers went down and then having to take an eye exam and get my photo taken I was out of there.  I am now $157.00 poorer but can drive legally about town.

All that happened Monday...move to yesterday...Tuesday.  I'm subbing a half day for Lindy while she goes to the dentist.  I leave the house at 11:00 a.m. to make the 10 minute drive so I can be there a tad early.  I hadn't really looked outside the entire morning and I was quite surprised to see quite a bit of snow coming down and a good amount of fresh snow already on the ground.  I go to the Justy, wipe off a large amount of heavy snow and plow my way out of my driveway.  The Justy struggles to stay on the road with the snow being quite deep.  The snow truly reached up to the bottom edge of the car doors.

On the drive to the school the car really struggled to make it through deep snow.  Twice the car just died while driving and I had to pull off and baby it to get the ignition to turn over again.  When I arrived at school I pulled into the entrance and the car died again.  I end up gliding to a stop right smack in the middle of parent pickup.  I will not restart.  I call Lindy on Evie's cell phone since my iPhone died and I have to borrow Evie's little phone.  I tell her that I'm at school but the car's dead and blocking parent pickup.  She says that she's got to leave and I tell her that I leave the car and let the custodial know and head right into her classroom.

When I opened the car door to get out I turned the key once more for one final try.  The engine turned over so I slammed the door, put it in first gear and drove into the first available parking spot.  While turning into the empty space I heard a pop and saw my right windshield wiper pop off the car and fly through the air.  Oh my goodness, now I've lost a wiper blade. 

I got out of the car, found the wiper blade and high-tailed it into her room.  She quickly left so she wouldn't be late for the dentist and I finished teaching her lesson.

I am fed up with car troubles.  I know I'm blessed to have a car but I must admit that I'd love to have one that is trustworthy!

I will add that after school I went to the car, put the key in the ignition and it turned over just like that.  I drove home in a nasty snow storm with one wiper blade and the other wiper blade holder nastily squeaking on the window glass for each sweep it made.  I will have to get out the good 'ole duck tape and tape that wiper blade back on. 

If that doesn't work maybe I can Gorilla glue it back on...just a thought!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness! When it rains it pours for you! I hope you were able to get your wiper blade fixed. Mine will lift up and stay that way to change blades; if I lost a blade I could probably drive it like that till I got it replaced. Probably the little pin came out; do you have an auto parts store around you somewhere? Here when you buy blades they come out and install them for you. (I LOVE that!)

    ReplyDelete